Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Angel Of Harlem



Here's a brand new piece, fresh off the studio table. An 11x14 collage on canvas, and I call it Angel of Harlem.

Now, I actually have no idea who this is or whether or not it is in fact an angel of Harlem, but as I was making this, the song Angel of Harlem came on, and well, the name kind of stuck. It just seemed so fitting somehow.

I don't normally do religious pieces (for no particular reason), but I thought this lady was so pretty I could not pass her up.

My recent flurry of sales has totally inspired me to go back in the studio, and create like a madman, so I have several pieces in the works right now. Only 3 made it to the photo shoot today, but two more are very close to finishing, and I have many more just waiting to be started.

Now, I have a super dilemma though. I'm not sure how many artists struggle with this, but I'm guessing quite a few do. My problem is I want to do so many different styles and techniques (so many possibilities out there!), that sometimes I get quite overwhelmed, and when that happens I tend to freeze up. Not in a bad way, it's just I can't figure out what to do first.

It's kind of hard to explain I suppose, but that's where I am right now. I have a few different styles I play around with, and I have a long list of many more I want to try, but it's like I don't know where to start, or even if I should.

I wonder if I should be sticking with one style, and make it my signature look you know? Or is it best to keep playing around, and it doesn't matter if you do multiple styles?

Any thoughts??

2 comments:

Ophelia said...

your piece is really beautiful! This is so rich and lush, its beautiful!

Jacqueline said...

Your art work is gorgeous and each piece is sooo beautiful! I could so relate to this sometimes overhelming feeling because i too want to explore and do so many different styles and thechniques of sewing and using many different mediums. I like to explore and experiement until i find that perfect style that speaks to me. Have a lovely merry happy day and love to yoU!

jacqueline
http://www.jqlinesocuteithurts.typepad.com/