Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Thank you Kelly Rae!!


I'm a little shy about posting this, since I haven't been around a loooooong time. I'm not exactly sure what happened to me, but somehow my creative juices dried up completely.

For 3 months, I had no desire to make art. At all. Even looking at my collages on the walls, left me feeling blah.

This was totally weird, because I was just getting into my groove art wise, and then all of a sudden it was like someone turned off a faucet, and left me dry. I beat myself up and felt guilty about this for quite awhile. Not surprisingly that didn't help me create anything new.

Thankfully a couple weeks ago, I found myself wandering the aisles of Michael's when I spotted a book, that changed everything.

It was Kelly Rae Robert's "Taking Flight" book. I picked it up and started flipping through the pages, and all of a sudden I felt the familiar stirrings of excitement running through me. The more I looked at the book, the more excited I became at the thought of trying a new project and new techniques. I couldn't put the book down, and decided to buy it right away.

When I got home, I immediately made for my new art studio upstairs (mold free!!), and got to work.

This is what I produced following her patchwork collage technique. A totally new concept for me, but totally fun. Right now I'm working on three more projects out of her book, and I can't thank her enough for publishing this gem, and giving me some inspiration again!

This piece is titled "OM'. I've been wanting to do a spiritual/budda piece for a while now, and so I'm super excited about this one. It has a place already picked out on my wall near my meditation area in my studio. Thankfully I have orange walls so it will fit right in. :)

2 comments:

Pam Tucker said...

Michele, it's so good to see you creating again! I have the book you're talking about and can understand your enthusiasm after browsing through it. Your new piece is fantastic! Your energy and excitement shows through, even though it's a meditative piece. The colors are gorgeous. Great work!

kelly rae said...

woohoooo!
it's awesome!