Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Look what the cat dragged in...

So this is the first journal page I ever did. Funny thing was, it totally morphed into something completely different than what I originally had.

Originally the head came with a body, that had a hint of red in the clothing. I kept thinking I had to keep it, to tie it into the background.

It drove me crazy for about a week, because no matter what I did, nothing really worked out.

The body seemed out of place, the borders and other collage materials I chose didn't mesh, etc. Eventually, I got so frustrated, I ended up working on other pages instead.

Flipping past this page every night, was a constant reminder of the mess I left unfinished.

Finally, I decided to do something with this monster. So I ripped the body off, and drew the elongated neck with stripes. As soon as I did that, I felt an immediate relief. Why didn't I think of that sooner!?

Anyway, the skirt was already there, so I added a little torso to fit it.

As I was fooling around with borders I came across butterfly wings, and thought, hmmm... these wings look good, in fact the body looks like an insect body...

Before I knew it, this picture appeared. It was a very interesting process for me, because until I got rid of the offending body part (hey that doesn't sound right), I felt I could do nothing to make this picture any good.

I was ready to rip it out of my journal and tear it up. It's amazing what one little change can do. Now it's one of my favorites. I really like the zetti-ness of it. (Yes I admit, I am totally inspired by Zettiology, and Teesha Moore. I just love her stuff!!!)

Anyhoo, this page has definitely taught me a lesson in art. If something isn't working out, don't give up, because there is always a another option to make it so much better.

No comments: