Monday, May 10, 2010

You Can Fly When You Want To


New art! I gave this to my mom for Mothers Day.


This one is 24x24. A new size for me, and I love it. I don't know why but I really like working on squares. The only problem is they aren't a good size when you are trying to make greeting cards and postcards out of them. Oh well, you do what you gotta do.

I've been planning this collage for a few months, but wouldn't you know at the last minute, I changed a major component and basically had to start over. So in the end I was rushed to get to it done, but I'm so glad I made the change, because it is 100 times better this way.

I used a bunch of techniques here, including a new tissue paper one I read about to give the background more texture. It's the wrinkly bits you see. I also drew, cut out, and painted the butterfly on Bristol paper and then glued it to the background.

I usually prefer using this technique as opposed to painting directly on the canvas. That way I can build up the backgrounds as much as I like, and not have to try to paint over it. I feel you get a cleaner more vibrant look when it is painted separately on paper. And for this piece I really wanted the butterfly to stand out.

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with how this one came out, and I'm thinking I'll have to do more like this.

And for those of you who pay attention to the sidebar widgets, you will notice some new decorations there. Yep it's official. Finally! I have a functional Etsy store, where you can buy original artwork, prints, postcards, necklaces etc. Now before you rush over there, please note, that I'm still setting everything up, so right now there are only a few items listed, but each day I will add more and more.

My first priority is getting all the originals posted. Right now the 5x7's are done, but the bigger ones will take a bit more research into shipping prices. Anyway they are all for sale, and I hope you visit soon! Need to make room for the new stuff!

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

This is such a meaningful piece! It's really gorgeous! Have a lovely merry happy week and love to you!

jacqueline
http://jqlinesocuteithurts.typepad.com/