Friday, April 2, 2010

I finally got my groove back!

Oh my goodness, the last 10 days or so have been extremely frustrating for me. I've been completely blocked artistically. Nothing was inspiring, nothing I tried to create came out, I couldn't draw, I had no imagination... You get the picture right?

I couldn't believe this was happening to me again, and just when I had gotten started making art again this year.

Last time this happened it took over 3 months for me to get back into the swing of things, and I was so worried that was happening again.

It definitely was not a good time for the artistic well to run dry either. So many new things are happening art wise, and it would have been terrible if I just stopped creating again.

Oh, I wish I could divulge everything that is happening, but I can't just yet. There are still a few loose ends to tie up that are taking longer than I anticipated. Which is a big bummer, but there isn't much I can do about it.

Anyway, the collage above is an 8x10 I did last year, titled "Wonderful", the photo in the middle is from Itkupilli. Another canvas that missed the boat. Apparently there were several pictures that never got posted to the blog last year, I guess that was during the dry spell of 2009.

So, back to the present. Last night, I went into my studio to try to fix the 5 canvases that are sitting around waiting for me to finish them, and I couldn't do it. I just sat there, staring at the walls. Oh I dabbled around with the paint a bit, but nothing was turning out. I wasn't getting that spark, that a-ha moment, when you just know the painting is turning out good. So I quit, and played games the rest of the night.

When I got up this morning, I felt hopeless. Then I got an idea. Why not go to the cafe that has my art on display. Maybe seeing it will help fuel my muse.

So we went and had breakfast, and seeing my art was definitely fun and cool, but it didn't quite inspire me. Though I must say It was nice to the paintings again, because looking at pictures just doesn't do them any justice at all. They are so much better in person.

Oh and one cool thing happened while we were there, some customers came in and complimented my artwork to the lady working at the counter. Of course I didn't actually hear them because I was busy reading the comics, and stuffing my face with biscuits and gravy, but my husband let me know what they said.

Now all this back story is actually leading up to me telling you, that somewhere between the biscuits and gravy, the flat tire we got on the way there, going to the post office, coming home and surfing the internet, taking a nap, and making dinner, I actually got the urge to go back in my studio.

And thank goodness I did. I managed to finally finish my Anne of Cleaves painting, which will sit proudly next to Katherine in the living room. I wish I had a picture to show you, but I won't have one, until Tuesday. I also managed to touch up 3 other canvases, and this time every color and swipe with the brayer was right. It all came out! I finally was able to fix my cupcake canvas too, something I've been working on for several months.

I'm telling you, when I finished Anne of Cleves, I nearly cried with joy. It felt so good to be painting and creating again, and have things come out, and like them. It was the most awesome feeling. And now, I can't wait to go back and play again tomorrow!

All is right with my world again.

No comments: