Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'm painting again!


Well tonight, I don't know what got into me. I was supposed to be working on my challenges, but for some reason, I just couldn't get into it.

I was really feeling the need to create something on my own. No prompts, no themes, etc.

I had this canvas already painted in a wash of lavender, and the idea for this girl roughly drawn in pencil. It's been sitting on a window sill for over a month waiting for me to finish it.

On a total whim, I grabbed it, and just started painting. With my fingers! I've never done that before, and it was a wonderful feeling. I really wasn't concerned with how anything looked, I just kept painting.

By the time I got to her facial features, I was stumped. I had already done the lips, but eyes have always alluded me.

I toyed with the idea of not giving her any, but that made her look sort of creepy. And not in a good way. :)

Since I felt she probably needed them, I put a bit of hair over one eye, so I wouldn't have to worry so much about the eyes being even. :) Yes I'm lazy that way!

I have to admit, the face was the least favorite part for me. I was having so much fun being carefree and not following any particular rules, that when it came time to do the "detail", I really felt restricted.

I suppose I should either practice facial features so they come more naturally, or learn how to make them more believably "abstract". :)

Incidentially this girl is based on another that I drew in my art journal. Strange thing is I cannot seem to finish her page. Ugh.

Either way, this was a fun piece to work on, and I just may not pick up a brush again!

1 comment:

Pat said...

Michele, your work is so delightful! The colors just pop on everything...your blog tickles my fancy!