Thursday, February 21, 2008

The thrill of the ride

With the recent bout of nicer weather lately, there is no denying it's almost that time of year again. Time to push the bike out of hibernation and start that baby up.

Yes folks, riding weather is almost here. Yipee! There is something about a sunny day in the mountains that brings the bikes out in droves. They far outnumber the cars, and you can see groups of 20 or 30 of them hanging out at gas stations, overlooks, and restaurants. It's a beautiful site.

My husband and I love to ride, and the best places to go are the mountains. The roads are fun, relatively free of cars, and the scenery is exquisite.

Since we have had (not the last few days though) nice weather, we took out the beast for it's first ride of the year. And let me tell you it was sooo much fun. It was a small ride, just a couple hours exploring the mountains in our area, but it was awesome to be out again! I'd forgotten how much fun it was.

There is something about the trill of riding on a motorcycle that beats regular car traveling. Even though we travel the same roads, being on the bike gives it a whole new experience, it feels faster, you can feel the wind rushing past you in varying temperatures, the world around you seems brighter, and the smells. You can smell everything. From the various scents of nature to someone doing the laundry. Although sometimes the smells are not so pleasant (I'm thinking port a potties, skunks, and car exhaust), but it's worth every sniff.

One of my favorite riding trips (I have many) was when we took the bike from home (California) to Orcas Island, Washington. If you don't know where that is, it's pretty much in Canada.

Being able to sit on the bike for many hours at a time took some getting used to. As obviously your body is not designed to straddle an object for long periods. (get your mind out of the gutter :) ).

At first I could only go 30 miles until I needed to get off and stretch. Those first few days, I honestly thought I'd never be able to sit again. Eventually, though you get used to it, and now I can last quite a while (yeah me).

Once I was able to sit for awhile, I really began to enjoy it. It is such a free feeling zipping along the roads without a care. Even though the high winds on the coast had me praying to every deity in existence, and the biting freezing cold weather that seeps into your bones (it was summer), had me shivering uncontrollably, I wouldn't change the experience for anything. It was absolutely awesome.

A lot of people pooh pooh riding because it's dangerous, and don't get me wrong it is, but so are a lot of things. And honestly, I'd rather, experience the thrill and magic of a wonderful ride then worry about something you can't control.

When I'm on the bike, my problems disappear, and I enjoy the moment for what it is. It really is a natural high, and at that point, it seems as if anything is possible.


This is the bike we have. A BMW Dakar F650. This particular picture is not ours though. I found it on Flicker and saw it was available for download so I did. (Thank you!)

No comments: